The City Wall Tour Schedule
- Come up with your own cunning plans to lay siege to the city, and see if you’d be outsmarted by ancient Chinese tactics. Would you fall victim to the devious ‘Turtle in a Net’ trick?
- Race or take a leisurely ride round the wide city walls on your bike or tandem – whether admiring the views of the traditional Chinese gatehouses, or zooming down the ramps if you’re brave enough.
- Smell the wafting incense and look down on the golden roofs of the Guangren Temple, learn why it was built, which Tibetan ruler it was built for, and why the Chinese didn’t find out his predecessor was dead until 16 years later.
- Hear amusing, thought-provoking stories from the Xi’an wall and the area that surrounds it – from a gruesome meatball delicacy from 1900, to the legendary creepy man whose eyes came alive of their own accord to teach him a lesson, to the astonishing rise of the Ming dynasty from peasant poverty to imperial splendour.
- Understand Xi’an’s meteoric rise by comparing the view of the modern city with your guide’s photos from only a hundred years ago. See for yourself what this development is making appear on the city walls…
- Have a go at one of the locals’ past-times, and see if you can get the knack of foot shuttlecock.
- Guests on the Select Version of the tour will be able to travel round the City Walls on the luxurious versions of the City Wall golfcart.
• The Standard Meeting Point for Public, Private & Select City Wall Tours is outside exit B of Bei Da Jie Metro Station (在北大街地铁站B口外面见面).
Pricing Summary (prices in Chinese Renminbi per person)
* Under 14 years old.
-Public City Wall Tours (2 hours) availability can be seen by clicking here.
- Private City Wall Tours (2 hours) can be scheduled for your group at any time you like but require a minimum of 3 adult guests (or the financial equivalent thereof).
- Select City Wall Tours (2.5 hours) are led by Newman Tours’ most senior guides, and guarantee the provision of an iPad to enhance the content of your tour. They can start at any time you want, and feature exclusive content described in italics in the
Tour Schedule to the right.
Select Tours require a
minimum of 3 adult guests
(or the financial equivalent
-Pick Up & Drop Off in
your choice of taxi or
private vehicle from a
location of your choice
can be arranged upon
- Full Terms & Conditions are listed at the bottom of this page.
See the walls with the setting sun above you, and the walls illuminated by lights and swaying red lanterns
Xi’an’s city walls stand as some of the most impressive and best-preserved city walls in China, built by the Ming on a former Tang palace.
Xi’an’s immense, ancient city walls are perhaps the best preserved city walls anywhere in China – and they’re certainly the best ones to cycle around!
Built in the Ming Dynasty (in 1380) to keep out the vicious descendants of Genghis Khan, they’ve survived invasions, bombings, famines, and sieges and still stand here today.
There’s no better way to get to know Xi’an than to cycle, walk, or take a golfcart around the walls with Newman Tours – who’ll let you know how they were designed to keep out the enemy, and give you the gory and astonishing stories that have taken places on and around these walls in the centuries since they were made.
(0086) 21 6237 6298
Xi’an City Wall Tour
(0086) 138 1777 0229
Tours in and around Beijing, Shanghai, Hangzhou & Suzhou
Terms and Conditions
• This tour must be booked at least three days in advance.
• Please arrive at least 10 minutes in advance of scheduled meeting times to ensure we can start on time.
• Payments must be made in Chinese Renminbi at the end of the tour.
• Confirmatory identification may be necessary for both children and students.
• Every two children (under the age of 16) must be accompanied by at least one responsible paying adult.
• Guests who take part in Newman Tours do so at their own risk.
• In the case of access restrictions, Newman Tours reserves the right to replace content on this tour with
equivalent activities that it believes its guests will also find interesting.
Excursions Around Shanghai
Race around the wide paths of the Xi’an City Walls, and learn who they were made to keep out
Try riding a tandem around the walls, and see if together you could puzzle out how to break into the city
Ride the whole circuit of China’s best-preserved, ancient city walls
If cycling’s not for you, then travel in imperial comfort with a leisurely gold cart around the City Walls
See glimpses of preparations for shows and concerts at Yongningmen Gatehouse, and see video footage on your guide’s iPad of Yongningmen in all its splendour at the 2016 New Year’s Gala