The Bund Tour Schedule
•Meet next to the check in desk of the Astor House Pujiang Hotel at 15 Huangpu Road, near Daming Road (浦江饭店, 黄浦路15号, 近大名路).
•Wander past the North China Daily News, where you will learn about Emily Hahn, an eccentric female journalist that once worked there.
•Inspect the Customs Building, learn how it was used to project colonial power, and find out why its clock was stopped.
•Walk a few doors down to the Hong Kong and Shanghai Bank, where you will see some of the world’s most spectacular mosaics, and find out how not to try and rob a bank.
•Visit the Shanghai Club, where you will discover just how hard it was to get a membership, see the “curvature of the earth” along what was once the world’s longest bar, and find out how the Japanese overcame their struggle to play British billiards.
• Guests on the Select Bund Tour will
also get the unique opportunity to enter the legendary Cathay Hotel and discover the wonderful world of colonial property mogul, Victor Sassoon. Here you will discover where Victor’s fortune came from, why he was discriminated against, and just what went on at his naughty fancy dress parties.
• Learn about the new skyline of Lujiazui and its legendary skyscrapers: the Jinmao Tower, the Shanghai World Financial Centre and the Oriental Pearl Tower.
• Guests on the Select Bund Tour will also have the chance to walk along a newly renovated colonial road tucked behind the Bund. There they will see the old British consulate building as well as some of the most experimental colonial architecture in Shanghai
• The Standard Meeting Point for Public, Private & Select Bund Tours is Next to the check in desk of the Astor House Pujiang Hotel at 15 Huangpu Road, near Daming Road 浦江饭店, 黄浦路15号, 近大名路
• Meeting Point Directions
with instructions provided in
both English and Chinese
can be viewed here or
downloaded by clicking on
image to the right of this text.
Pricing Summary (prices in Chinese Renminbi per person)
* Under 14 years old.
-Private Bund Tours (2 hours) can be scheduled for your group at any time you like but require a minimum of 3 adult guests (or the financial equivalent thereof).
- Select Bund Tours (2 .5 hours) are led by Newman Tours’ most senior guides, and guarantee the provision of an iPad to enhance the content of your tour. They can start at any time you want, and feature exclusive content described in italics in the
Tour Schedule to the right.
Select Tours require a
minimum of 3 adult guests
(or the financial equivalent
-Pick Up & Drop Off in
your choice of taxi or
private vehicle from a
location of your choice
can be arranged upon
- Full Terms & Conditions are listed at the bottom of this page.
Cross over Waibaidu Bridge and find out
which enemies it kept apart.
See HSBC bank’s massive colonial Shanghai Branch and discover whose wealth was filling it’s vaults.
The Bund Tour Summary
The Bund Tour introduces you to the amazing businessmen and architects that built the the world’s most famous embankment. Take a stroll along the world’s most famous promenade and learn how a boggy marshland was turned into one of the most important trading hubs in the modern world. View the interiors of some of the Bund’s most stunning architectural masterpieces including the former Yokohama Specie Bank, the Peace Hotel and the Shanghai Club. From Victor Sassoon’s Cathay Hotel with its celebrity guests and wild fancy dress parties to T. V. Song’s Bank of China and its famous case of daylight robbery, Newman Tours’ Bund experience provides a glimpse of Shanghai’s extravagant colonial past.
(0086) 138 1777 0229
Tours in and around Beijing, Shanghai, Hangzhou & Suzhou
The Shanghai Bund Tour
Excursions Around Shanghai
Terms and Conditions
• Tours should be booked and confirmed at least three hours in advance.
• Newman Tours reserves the right to cancel tours by informing confirmed attendees at least three hours in advance.
• Newman Tours reserves the right to start its tours on time, and will not wait for guests more than ten minutes after the scheduled start time of their tours.
• Guests under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a responsible adult guardian.
• Newman Tours reserves the right to request proof of student or child status in the form of valid identification.
• Proof of payment receipts available if requested in advance.
• Tour prices are not inclusive of tax invoices, which if required cost an additional 15% of the total cost of the tour.
• Public and Private Tour Payments should be made in Chinese Renminbi at the end of the tour.
• If agreed in advance, Select Tours can also be paid for via bank transfer within 10 days of the tour’s completion.
• Guests who take part in Newman Tours do so at their own risk.
• Tours do not include accommodation, transportation, food, drink and other non-tour guide related fees unless otherwise stated.
• Newman Tours reserves the right to alter the Tour Schedule listed above as a result of bad weather or location inaccessibility. In doing so it will do its upmost to ensure that equally high quality alternative content is provided.
• Newman Tours reserves the right to refuse people the right to attend and if necessary remove them from their tours if they are intoxicated, aggressive or offensive.
• Guests who take part in Newman Tours Tours must have their own health and safety insurance.
•Guests who take part in Newman Tours do so entirely at their own risk.
“My guide provided a history of Shanghai first, which really helped in understanding why all the lovely buildings on the Bund were built. What was particularly great was that we went inside the buildings to see the spectacular interiors.”
“Newman Tours is a fun and memorable way to peel back the wrapping tightly bound around Shanghai’s past and delight in the surprises beneath.”
“Newman Tours’ guides are not only highly knowledgeable about the city and its past, but also have the charisma to bring the incredible stories of the area to life.”
Learn about the modern day equivalent of the Bund over the river in Lujiazui
(0086) 21 6237 6298