Pricing Summary (prices in Chinese Renminbi per person)
* Under 14 years old.
-Private Summer Palace Tours (2 hours) can be scheduled for your group at any time you like but require a minimum of 3 adult guests (or the financial equivalent thereof). They are inclusive of entrance tickets to the Summer Palace.
-Select Forbidden City Tours (2.5 hours) are led by Newman Tours’ most experienced native English speaking guides, and guarantee the provision of an iPad to enhance the content of your tour. They can start at any time you want (provided that the Summer Palace is open), and feature exclusive content described in red italics in the Tour Highlighs below. Select Tours require a minimum of 3 adult guests (or the financial equivalent thereof).
- Full Terms & Conditions are listed at the bottom of this page.
Terms and Conditions
• Tours should be booked and confirmed at least four hours in advance.
• Newman Tours reserves the right to cancel tours by informing confirmed attendees at least four hours in advance.
• Newman Tours reserves the right to start its tours on time, and will not wait for guests more than ten minutes after the scheduled start time of their tours.
• Guests under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a responsible adult guardian.
• Newman Tours reserves the right to request proof of student or child status in the form of valid identification.
• Proof of payment receipts available if requested in advance free of charge.
• Tour prices are not inclusive of tax invoices, which if required cost an additional 15% on top of the total cost of the tour.
• Public and Private Tour Payments should be made in Chinese Renminbi at the end of the tour.
• Tours do not include accommodation, transportation, food, drink and other non-tour guide related fees unless otherwise stated.
• Newman Tours reserves the right to alter the Tour Schedule listed above as a result of bad weather or location inaccessibility. In doing so it will do its upmost to ensure that equally high quality alternative content is provided.
• Newman Tours reserves the right to refuse people permission to attend and if necessary remove them from their tours if they are intoxicated, aggressive or offensive.
• Guests who take part in Newman Tours Tours must have their own health and safety insurance.
• Guests who take part in Newman Tours do so entirely at their own risk.
• Learn why the Summer Palace was called Jug Hill, and discover exactly what the consequences were of removing the jug.
• Discover what project went way over budget and eventually become the Summer Palace, and then find out how Emperor Qianlong apologised for his excessive spending.
• See the locations in which a group of mischievous eunuchs had fun at the expense of others.
• Learn how Empress Dowager Cixi diverted huge sums of money there that were intended to fund the Chinese navy.
• Guests on the Select Summer Palace Tour will also get to see a traditional Chinese variety show on the opera stage that Cixi often visited. Whilst there your guide will explain why Cixi’s obsession with Chinese opera cost her favourite eunuch his life.
• Experience how Emperor Qianlong and Dowager Empress Cixi played make believe with their surroundings.
• Visit Emperor Qianlong's study and discover why it's devoted to bear hunting.
• Find out where Cixi placed the little Emperor's first calligraphic effort, and discover how this effected his studies.
• Learn about the Summer Palace's stunning architecture and the secrets held within.
• Walk the long corridor, see famous rocks, listen to orioles, and learn where the best place to view the seasons is located.
• Take a boat out on Kunming Lake and discover why it was designed with the navy and immortals in mind.
• Hear why the bronze bull refuses to stay put and the efforts Cixi went to keep it in place.
A guided tour of the Summer Palace with our expert native English speaking guides will help you understand why the building of the Summer Palace was the beginning of the end of China's Imperial history.
During the tour you will find out which special woman in his life Emperor Qianlong commissioned these amazing gardens for; walk through the longest corridor in the world and discover the stories behind its beautiful paintings; see where Empress Dowager Cixi imprisoned the greatest threat to her power; and take a boat out on the stunning Kunming Lake to find out how it provided the perfect excuse for spending tax payers' money.
Guests on the Select Summer Palace Tour will also get to see a traditional Chinese variety show on the opera stage that Cixi often visited.
Whilst walking along the famous long corridor your native English speaking guide will tell you the stories behind its stunning paintings.
Admire the architectural variety of the Summer Palace, where no two buildings are alike.
Find out how and why Empress Dowager Cixi Americanised Emperor Qianlong’s marble boat.
Excursions Around Shanghai
(0086) 138 1777 0229
Tours in and around Beijing, Shanghai, Hangzhou & Suzhou
The Beijing Summer Palace Tour
-The Standard Meeting Point for Private and Select Beijing Summer Palace Tours is outside exit C of Beigongmen Metro on Yiheyuan Street (北宫门地铁站C出口外面，在颐和园路上).
-If you are planning on arriving
by taxi or private vehicle, please
click here to see our alternative
recommended meeting point at
the east gate of the Summer
- Meeting Point Directions
with instructions provided in
both English and Chinese
can be viewed here.
- We Recommend that you use the bilingual Meeting Point information above (which we can also send you in the form of a text if you send us your mobile number) to find this easily located meeting point using the Beijing metro system or via taxi.