Language & Culture
Pricing Summary (prices in Chinese Renminbi per person)
* Under 14 years old.
• Private Shanghai Museum Tours (2 hours) for your group only can start at any time you like but require a minimum of 3 adult guests (or the financial equivalent thereof).
• Select Shanghai Museum Tours (2.5 hours) are led by Newman Tours’ most senior guides, and guarantee the provision of an iPad to enhance the content of your tour. They can start at any time you want, and feature exclusive content described in italics in the Tour Schedule below. Select Tours require a minimum of 3 adult guests (or the financial equivalent thereof).
• For full terms and conditions please see the bottom of this page.
Shanghai Museum Tour Summary
From 4,000-year-old bronzes used in live burials through to priceless Buddhist sculptures taken from the legendary Silk Road, the Shanghai Museum is one of the finest ancient art collections in China. However, without expert guidance it is difficult to appreciate the subtleties that differentiate one of its masterpieces from another.
Find out why why this Chinese Godess
was once an Indian god
This is where our expert guides come in. Armed with an extensive knowledge of Chinese art, they are able to help you get to grips with the history of China's rich artistic heritage and ensure you get the most out of your Shanghai Museum experience.
• The Standard Meeting Point for Public, Private & Select Shanghai Museum Tours is outside the North exit of the Shanghai Museum, 201 People’s Square, near North Huangpi Road (上海博物馆北出口, 人民大道210号, 上海市政府对面，靠近黄陂北路).
• Meeting Point Directions
with instructions provided in
both English and Chinese
can be viewed here or
downloaded by clicking on
image to the right of this text.
Shanghai Museum Tour Schedule
• Meet outside the North exit of the Shanghai Museum (201 People’s Square, near North Huangpi Road).
• Hear a brief history of the collection as you go through the museum’s security checks.
• Explore the museum’s ancient bronzes, learn about their mysterious animal motifs and hear the story of the curse of the enormous “Da Ke Ding” vessel.
• Explore the museum’s sculpture collection and learn why the surname “Li” caused Buddhism so many problems during the Tang Dynasty
• Take a tour around the museum’s exquisite furniture collection and learn how to identify whether you have any priceless furniture that belonged to the Empress Dowager Cixi sitting in your living room.
• Guests on the Select Shanghai Museum will also receive an exclusive introduction to the calligraphy section of the museum.
• In addition, guests on the Select Shanghai Museum will also get the chance to try their hand at executing some calligraphy of their own.
“I was amazed by the amount of information I've absorbed in two hours about China, history, and culture. A must.”
“The guides are so well prepared that they made the right balance in mixing history, facts and funny stories.”
Terms and Conditions
• Tours should be booked and confirmed at least three hours in advance.
• Newman Tours reserves the right to cancel tours by informing confirmed attendees at least three hours in advance.
• Newman Tours reserves the right to start its tours on time, and will not wait for guests more than ten minutes after the scheduled start time of their tours.
• Guests under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a responsible adult guardian.
• Newman Tours reserves the right to request proof of student or child status in the form of valid identification.
• Proof of payment receipts available if requested in advance.
• Tour prices are not inclusive of tax invoices, which if required cost an additional 15% of the total cost of the tour.
• Public and Private Tour Payments should be made in Chinese Renminbi at the end of the tour.
• If agreed in advance, Select Tours can also be paid for via bank transfer within 10 days of the tour’s completion.
• Guests who take part in Newman Tours do so at their own risk.
• Tours do not include accommodation, transportation, food, drink and other non-tour guide related fees unless otherwise stated.
• Newman Tours reserves the right to alter the Tour Schedule listed above as a result of bad weather or location inaccessibility. In doing so it will do its upmost to ensure that equally high quality alternative content is provided.
• Newman Tours reserves the right to refuse people the right to attend and if necessary remove them from their tours if they are intoxicated, aggressive or offensive.
• Guests who take part in Newman Tours Tours must have their own health and safety insurance.
•Guests who take part in Newman Tours do so entirely at their own risk.
“Raises the hairs on your neck”
Trista Baldwin, City Weekend
“Family-friendly and comprehensive”
Excursions Around Shanghai
(0086) 138 1777 0229
Tours in and around Beijing, Shanghai, Hangzhou & Suzhou
The Shanghai Museum Tour