Discover how Religion and Ritual shaped China’s history and culture. Visit Beijing’s Temple of Confucius, Imperial Academy, and Lama Temple with our expert native English speaking guides and find out what happens when Buddhist saints get angry, why Official Exams on Confucian philosophy ruined so many lives, and what Tibetans do with the thighbones of criminals.
Media Quotes About Our Tours
“A flair for dramatic presentation”
“Informative and fun with a twist”
“Plenty of fascinating historical information”
John Sunyer, Time Out
“Raises the hairs on your neck”
Trista Baldwin, City Weekend
“Will tell you folk stories known only to natives”
“Newman Tours’ guides are not only highly knowledgeable about the city and its past, but also have
the charisma to bring the incredible stories of the area to life.”
“Newman Tours is a fun and memorable way to peel back the wrapping tightly bound around Shanghai’s past and delight in the surprises beneath. After one tour, you'll want to go back for more, passing on what you learn as the proud new expert among your friends.”
Pricing Summary (prices in Chinese Renminbi per person)
* Under 14 years old.
-Public Religion & Ritual Tours (2 hours) availability can be seen by clicking here. Prices are inclusive of entrance tickets to the Temple of Confucius, the Imperial Academy and the Lama Temple.
-Private Religion & Ritual Tours (2 hours) can be scheduled for your group at any time you like but require a minimum of 3 adult guests (or the financial equivalent thereof). Prices are inclusive of entrance tickets to the Temple of Confucius, the Imperial Academy and the Lama Temple.
-Select Religion and Ritual Tours (2.5 hours) are led by Newman Tours’ most senior guides, and guarantee the provision of an iPad to enhance the content of your tour. They can start at any time you want, and feature exclusive content. Select Tours require a minimum of 3 adult guests (or the financial equivalent thereof).
- Full Terms & Conditions are listed at the bottom of this page.
- The Standard Meeting Point for Public & Private Religion & Ritual Tour is outside exit C of Yonghegong Metro near the corner of Yonghegong Street and Guozijian Street (雍和宫地铁站C出口外面，在雍和宫大街上).
- Meeting Point Directions
with instructions provided in
both English and Chinese
can be viewed here or
- We Recommend that you use the bilingual Meeting Point information above (which we can also send you in the form of a text if you send us your mobile number) to find this easily located meeting point using the Beijing metro system or via taxi.
Terms and Conditions
• Tours should be booked and confirmed at least four hours in advance.
• Newman Tours reserves the right to cancel tours by informing confirmed attendees at least four hours in advance.
• Newman Tours reserves the right to start its tours on time, and will not wait for guests more than ten minutes after the scheduled start time of their tours.
• Guests under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a responsible adult guardian.
• Newman Tours reserves the right to request proof of student or child status in the form of valid identification.
• Proof of payment receipts available if requested in advance free of charge.
• Tour prices are not inclusive of tax invoices, which if required cost an additional 15% on top of the total cost of the tour.
• Public and Private Tour Payments should be made in Chinese Renminbi at the end of the tour.
• Tours do not include accommodation, transportation, food, drink and other non-tour guide related fees unless otherwise stated.
• Newman Tours reserves the right to alter the Tour Schedule listed above as a result of bad weather or location inaccessibility. In doing so it will do its upmost to ensure that equally high quality alternative content is provided.
• Newman Tours reserves the right to refuse people permission to attend and if necessary remove them from their tours if they are intoxicated, aggressive or offensive.
• Guests who take part in Newman Tours Tours must have their own health and safety insurance.
• Guests who take part in Newman Tours do so entirely at their own risk.
• See ancient edicts translated into four languages and discover just how many religions the Qing Emperors tried to follow at once.
• Find out which Buddhas were twenty meters tall, which ones were feminists, and which one was pulled in a pig chariot.
• Discover why Fierce Bodhisattvas are so blue and how that helps them achieve enlightenment.
Find out why Emperor Qianlong felt he had to justify building the Lama Temple to his father.
• Pass ancient sages and see if their learned wisdom still rings true.
• Learn how Confucius was wrong when he was right, why he is so misunderstood, and then listen to professionals perform renditions of his favorite music.
• See if meditation improves your aim and get the chance to practice writing a famous Confucian saying.
Excursions Around Shanghai
(0086) 138 1777 0229
Tours in and around Beijing, Shanghai, Hangzhou & Suzhou
The Beijing Religion and Ritual Tour
Discover who presented this enormous statue to the Lama Temple.